Filed under Academics

Ozark ninth grade band performs with high school band at homecoming

On Friday, September 15, the ninth grade band played the Star-Spangled Banner and the Ozark Fight Song before the homecoming football game. The band warmed up with the high school band and right after the coronation of the homecoming queen, they took the field.

“I enjoyed playing at homecoming,” says trumpet player, Aaron Terry, “because I like playing with not only people I have known for a long time but also with people I hope to know in the future.” After the performance, the ninth grades sat with the high school band and got to know the people in their section.

“They are doing great,” says band director, Tom Meyer, “It was a good crowd and it was late enough after school starting that we could be ready to play together.” The band has been working on the pieces since June. Along with this, they have been working a lot on marching technique for their show at the Pride of the Ozarks Marching Festival as well as all the performances in high school.

“This was different [from past years in band],” says Terry, “because, yes it was our family in the stands, which is what we are all used to, but it was also a bunch of other students’ parents, people of Ozark, people from other towns, and students of Ozark that we don’t know yet.”

On September 30, the band will be performing at the Pride of the Ozarks Marching Festival as an exhibition show. They will also all be working a shift to help make the festival run smoothly.