Filed under Sports

Ozark cross country

Ozark Junior High’s eighth and ninth grade cross country teams season is well underway and the COC meet is right around the corner. OJH cross country runners have worked hard running on different courses, at different locations and against different area schools.

Katie Wells, a freshman on the high school varsity team, says she enjoys being on the high school team because of Coach Cristy. She adds that she also has more freedom than she had before.The person that inspires Wells the most is her dad who goes to most of her meets and cheers her on.

Katie says that she has a few goals for this season.  “I want to push myself to run with some of the faster girls at practice and get new PR’s at meets.” At all the meets the girls have their group warm ups and then they always do a group prayer before each race.

Camon Lairmore, an eighth grade cross country runner for the junior high school says his highest placing at a meet is 3rd place, but he intends to get a higher place at some point. Lairmore was happy to hear that the boys eighth grade team had won 1st place at the Nixa meet.

Lairmore believes his coaches will push him hard because they want him to improve as much as he can at meets and also at practice. He enjoys cross country because runners get to travel a lot. One of the places he says holds his best memory was the Chili Pepper in Fayetteville, AR. “The Chili Pepper was my favorite because there was free food and it was a fun experience.”  

The junior high cross country team meets after school Monday through Thursday from 3:15 p.m to 4:30 p.m on the junior high school track for practice.