Filed under Sports

Basketball try-outs to begin at OJH

Basketball tryouts for eighth grade girls are coming up October 25 and 26 from 3:15 pm to 5:00 pm. There will be places for 15 students on the eighth grade team.

Coach Rumfelt says, “We are looking for girls who have a good work ethic, good attitude, knowledge of the game, and know the basic skills required in basketball.” Practices normally held from an hour to two hours long.

They will take place in either the main gym or the east gym at the junior high. “The girls have improved greatly since last season. They came in three days a week during the month of June for workouts,” Coach Rumfelt adds.

Basketball tryouts for eighth grade boys are October 23 and 26 from 3:15 pm to 5:00 pm. There will be places for 15 students on the eighth grade boys team.  

Coach Hale says, “We are looking for players who are great students, role models, and are dedicated to bettering themselves. We look for players to show up to practice each day mentally and physically ready to work. We are also looking for players to buy  into our systems and have a team mindset.”

Basketball tryouts for ninth grade girls will be held October 30 through November 3 from 3:15 pm  to 5:00 pm. There will be places for 14 students on the ninth grade girls team.

Basketball tryouts for ninth grade boys is October 30 and November 3  from 3:15 pm to 5:00 pm. Their will be places for 14 students on the ninth grade boys team also.

“We spend a lot of time with our athletes during the season and we see quite a lot of improvement over that time,” Coach Hale says.