Filed under Clubs

Can the eagles

Can the Eagles started last week on Monday, October 2 and ended on Friday, October 6. Though Ozark tried hard, Nixa pulled ahead and won the Can the Eagles competition but Ozark won the football game.  In total the competition raised $10,146 dollars and 59,138 pounds of food. In the end, all donations collected went to a good cause – The Least of These food pantry. 

Mrs. Smith who is a sponsor for Student Council said she thinks StuCo may try something different next year to increase donations. “I think we need to do another food incentive like the Hurts Donut party we did last year. We are also open to suggestions of what people think would be popular or a good incentive or idea to involve students.”   

“Our favorite part of Can the Eagles was to see all of the students in the school bring in food for care to learn,” says Ella Metcalf and Draven Ipok who are both on Student Council at OJH. For individual students that made donations, for every three cans or dollar donated students were allowed to wear a hat to school for the day.

Smith says, “My favorite part of Can the Eagles was when the Least of These food truck comes and picks up the donations. You can always see the look of joy and thankfulness on their faces. It is incredible that we have so many wonderful students who want to help and support their community.”