Filed under Clubs

Robotics competitions begin for OJH team

OJH Robotics Club members program robots during a recent competition.

Ozark Junior High School has many different clubs that include a wide variety. One of the clubs is the Robotics Club.  This club is where students have the chance to build and create a robot that they take to a competition to compete with as a whole team.  

Eighth grade student, Cole Cooper, is a member of the club. Cooper likes being in Robotics Club because he enjoys how all of the members work as a team, but also the fact that he gets to build robots.

Another member of the club is ninth grade student Paige Stevens. “I also enjoy the being a part of the Robotics Club because it is a place where you don’t have to be afraid of anything,” says Stevens.

The teachers of the club are eighth grade teachers Mrs. Suiter and Mrs. Woods. Both Mrs. Woods and Mrs. Suiter took the team to the competition which was held at Glendale High School on January 27. Ozark did a terrific job placing fourth out of 22 other schools in the competition.

“The competition was a good experience because it was my first time and it was a really good learning experience,” says Cooper.

This competition was not the first competition for Ozark, they had a practice round which was held in Monett. The Glendale competition was to qualify for state.

The tasks they had to complete included a puzzle that they had to figure out.  The students were given the task to program the robot with an automated component that lasts 30 seconds.

Teams with the most points out of five rounds win a chance to advance on to regionals then on to state competition.