Science Olympiad enthusiasts kick off the year

OJH Science Olympiad is underway

Back to Article
Back to Article

The new Science Olympiad members are choosing what events they would like to work on this year. This was the third meeting and the last chance for students to join. Though there is much to do, this is going to be the “best year yet,” says Woods.

Garrett Coggin, Technology Editor

Science Olympiad is led by Mrs. Woods and meets in her classroom Mondays from 3 pm – 5 pm.

Woods started Science Olympiad at OJH to share her love of science. Her favorite part of Science Olympiad is getting to spend time with and build relationships with students.

Every year in February, the Science Olympiad team participates in a competition. Woods says that they have won first place many times and the past two years they have even gone to state. Students that love science and are willing to commit, are encouraged to join.

“This is going to be our best year yet,” says Woods.

This is Aaron Tomczyk’s first year in Science Olympiad. He decided to join this club because he was interested in getting a better understanding of science and to be able compete.

Tomczyk also says he is psyched to spend time with his friends all year and says his relationship with his fellow members is great. He has known them all for a long time and they are extremely good friends.

Tomcyzk’s chosen events this year are invasive species, road scholar, rocks and minerals, and wind power. To ensure that he does well at the competition he will study hard, come to all the meetings, and be open to new and different ideas. 

He plans on staying in Science Olympiad all year long.

“I can already see that it is going well, and am eager to see what’s next,” he says.

Overall, Science Olympiad sounds as if it is going to be a fun and exciting experience for the students involved this year.