Running to first place

Cross country hits the grounding running

Back to Article
Back to Article

Running to first place

Pictured are cross country runners Lakyn Cox, Hattie Depee, Mary Keene, Katie Wells, Jessie Marshall, and Katie Marshall.

Katie Wells, Sunshine Editor

Cross Country started off with the season with a meet on September 8th at Willow Springs.

Cross Country is a sport for distance runners with practices taking place everyday except Friday from 3 pm-4 pm. Coach Disseler, an eighth grade ELA teacher, is a coach for cross country. “Depending on the day, in the practices throughout the week we run a tempo run, 1.5 mile trail, hills, sprints, and a track workout,” Disseler explains. “So don’t come to practice thinking that it will be easy.”

This junior high sport is for seventh and eighth graders. Josie Lasley is an eighth grader who has run cross country both her seventh and eighth grade year. “I was inspired to run for Ozark in cross country because my older sister, Addy loved it and so I figured I would love it, too,” Lasley says. She also states, “Cross country isn’t always easy. It can be frustrating when someone passes you in a race and hard when you push yourself. So that is why you give your 100% in practices and in meets.”

Another previous cross country runner is Coach Disseler, although not at OJH. She was a high school long distance runner and has been coaching cross country for three years at the junior high. “Things have changed since I was a runner. For one thing I cannot run nearly as fast or as far, the knees don’t hold up as well!”

“Meets can take place any day of the week except Wednesdays and Sundays,” Disseler adds. The first meet of this year took place on September 8. The weather made this first meet at Willow Springs complicated, but the results of the meet were successful. “Our runners did really well, despite the torrential downpour. The boys took first place for Ozark and the girls got fourth” Coach Disseler states.

Lasley says with a smile, “Some things haven’t changed over the last two seasons of cross country…I still am excited to run hard and I want to win more and more each meet. So let’s go Ozark!”

Chloi Garrison gives the camera a lazy eye and Chuck Meyers shows us a wacky pose. The cross country team was riding on the bus, an hour and a half away, to their first meet in Willow Springs. "Besides the fact that bus rides are super full, I enjoy sitting with my friends and being able to talk my energy out," Karen Clavijo says.

Chloi Garrison gives the camera a lazy eye and Chuck Meyers shows us a wacky pose. The cross country team was riding on the bus, an hour and a half away, to their first meet in Willow Springs. “Besides the fact that bus rides are super full, I enjoy sitting with my friends and being able to talk my energy out,” Karen Clavijo says.