The greatest school rivalry

OJH football begins the season with a win

Back to Article
Back to Article

The greatest school rivalry

On September 8, Ozark Tigers' kicker Thomas Rushing kicking off to the Nixa Eagles for a touchback at the Nixa High School field. Rushing's kick made the Eagles start all the way from their twenty.

Tristan Primanzon, Managing Editor

September 8 the Ozark Tigers eighth grade football team played away against their biggest rival, the Nixa Eagles. This was an highly anticipated game as it was the first football game of the season for Ozark Junior High.

The game was fought hard by both teams who played through the large amount of rain that came after halftime.

Football player Garrett Dotson says his favorite play of the night came before halftime.¨Tylr Bolin’s 30-yard rushing touchdown, due to it be the first offensive series, gave us momentum for the rest of the game,¨ says Dotson.   

OJH football coach Michael Cox explains,¨The defense played aggressive and hungry. Our offensive line opened holes for the running backs to consistently move down the field.¨

The football game ended on the highest note the Ozark football team could have hoped for as they rolled over the Eagles 38-6 as the final score and while the B team game was cancelled due to lightning.

Coach Cox says the energy of the players was positive.¨The players were upbeat and excited about how well we played and about the weather,¨ adds Cox.

Dotson predicts this season will be one of the best yet for the OJH Tigers. ¨I think this will be one of the best seasons that we will ever have based on OFL  (the youth football program, the Ozark Football League) and just seeing the way we beat Nixa on Thursday. Everyone did what they were supposed to do and we will have a great season,¨ says Dotson.

On September 8, Ozark Tigers’ kicker Thomas Rushing kicking off to the Nixa Eagles for a touchback at the Nixa High School field. Rushing’s kick made the Eagles start all the way from their twenty.

On September 8, the Ozark Tigers huddle at halftime during game held at Nixa High School. Players were talking about ways they could use to beat the Eagles.