OJH band begins new year with program changes

Band gets new location and new teachers during the new school year

Ozark+Junior+High+band+plays+the+B+flat+scale+in+the+gym%2Fcafeteria.++This+was+the+band%E2%80%99s+first+day+in+the+location+and+they+were+still+getting+used+to+it.++%E2%80%9CI+feel+that+it+is+a+great+spot+for+the+band%2C%E2%80%9D+says+Russom.++
Back to Article
Back to Article

Ozark Junior High band plays the B flat scale in the gym/cafeteria.  This was the band’s first day in the location and they were still getting used to it.  “I feel that it is a great spot for the band,” says Russom.

Ozark Junior High band plays the B flat scale in the gym/cafeteria. This was the band’s first day in the location and they were still getting used to it. “I feel that it is a great spot for the band,” says Russom.

Morgan Taylor, Copy Editor

The Ozark Junior High band started the year off strong meeting in the west gym and then moving to the cafeteria on September 12 due to construction. The band is being directed differently this year with teachers coming to the junior high from both the high school and the middle school.

“This way, there is more unity in our program 6-12th grade,” says Mrs. Faught, Ozark Junior High band teacher of 14 years.

There are also a few other changes for the eighth graders this year, the number of performances has doubled, including one competition. “I think that they will handle it fine. Most groups really enjoy going to contest,” says Faught.

“I feel that it [going to contest] could be great for us to learn how the judges want us to perform,” says Seth Russom, eighth grade baritone saxophone player. “I can win over a crowd like that,” he adds, snapping his fingers.

The band members spend a lot of time together and that amount of time will increase this year. “It’s fun. We get along dandy,” says Russom when describing his relationship with fellow band members. These classmates will be spending a lot more time together in high school if they choose to continue to participate in the band program.

“There will always be little things that they will have to work on when they get there, but our freshman fit right in,” Faught says about

preparing the junior high members for high school band.