FCCLA is underway at OJH

FCCLA attends regional conference at Silver Dollar City

FCCLA members Annabel Gentry and Abby Hammons ride the elephants at Silver Dollar City while attending the FCCLA Region 10 Leadership Conference.

Heather McConnell, Copy Editor

FCCLA at Ozark Junior High has officially begun. On October 10, FCCLA members and sponsor, Mrs. Low, attended the Region 10 Leadership Conference at Silver Dollar City.

The students in FCCLA don’t need a required amount of service hours, but it is recommended because it can help to better the community and help to shape them as a person says Low. “FCCLA is a student-run organization,” explains Low. “

As their advisor I highly recommend each member to get involved in a STAR Event. This can be many different things including a Community Service Project, Career Investigation, Focus on Children, Recycle and Redesign, and many more categories,” says Low.

Adds Low, “FCCLA benefits the students by building their confidence in the Star Event competition. They compete at regional, state and national levels. Our regional competition is scheduled at the beginning of February and hopefully they will place gold and move onto state competition, which is held at Tan-Tar-A, and if they place gold there they will move onto nationals.” 

Abbey Hammons, eighth grader at OJH, is one of the 13 members of FCCLA that went to Silver Dollar City with the club. “We had a motivational speaker and then we could go play freely,” says Hammons. “I love being in FCCLA because you can give back to the community.”

Hammons says she loves to give back to the community, so she decided to continue being in FCCLA after joining as a seventh grader. “This is my second year being in it and I really like being in the club.”

“FCCLA benefits both the community and the students in the club because they can get scholarships and learn about giving back to their community,” adds Hammons.

“Some of the things we do in FCCLA is community service projects and STAR events,” explains Hammons.“The STAR events are my favorite part of being in FCCLA.”