Students rewarded during Teen Read Week

Student Sophie Lipchik was rewarded for reading in class during Teen Read Week. The Ozark Junior High Library has been giving out prizes October 10 through the 14. “We had students who started asking where the candy came from,” says Smith, “When they told them they got it from reading, students would immediately sit down and start reading.”

Morgan Taylor, Copy Editor

Ozark Junior High school library gives away prizes for Teen Read Week to encourage students to read more. Librarian, Amanda Smith, puts together bags of treats for students caught reading.

“This year we made 120 prizes and we gave out almost all of them,” Smith says. “I think last year we did the same, but we had twice as many kids.”

Almost a third of the eighth grade got prizes this year for reading in class. All teachers were given three cards which they could give away to students who they see reading. Those students can then take it to the library and exchange it for a bag of candy.

Teen Read Week is a tradition that started in 1998 by the Young Adult Library Services Association to promote adolescent and teen reading. The event is held in October, the same week as Columbus Day every year. Ozark Junior High School has been participating in the week-long event for three years now.

Sophie Lipchik was among the students to get a candy bag.

“I don’t think students should need this incentive to read,” says Lipchik. She was given the ticket in Pre -Algebra while reading Paper Towns. She received her ticket on the second day of Teen Read Week.

“I wish we did something in the spring and even towards the end of the year to encourage reading over the summer,” says Smith.