District band members chosen

OJH students prepare for top chairs to perform in District Band

Ozark+Junior+High+band+plays+the+B+flat+scale+in+the+gym%2Fcafeteria.++This+was+the+band%E2%80%99s+first+day+in+the+location+and+they+were+still+getting+used+to+it.++%E2%80%9CI+feel+that+it+is+a+great+spot+for+the+band%2C%E2%80%9D+says+Russom.++
Back to Article
Back to Article

District band members chosen

Ozark Junior High band plays the B flat scale in the gym/cafeteria.  This was the band’s first day in the location and they were still getting used to it.  “I feel that it is a great spot for the band,” says Russom.

Ozark Junior High band plays the B flat scale in the gym/cafeteria. This was the band’s first day in the location and they were still getting used to it. “I feel that it is a great spot for the band,” says Russom.

Garrett Coggin, Technology Editor

Brett Meyer, eighth grade trombonist, was nominated for District Band by Ozark Junior High band instructor, Mrs. Faught.

Meyer says he enjoys playing the trombone because it is an interesting kind of instrument and is the only instrument that has a slide.

Meyer is also a dedicated band member at OJH, as his father is the band director at the high school. His favorite part about being in band is that he gets to play more challenging songs to improve his playing skills.

District Band is an honor band that some of the top players in the district get to attend. Not very many students are selected at OJH for District Band, and Meyer thinks he was chosen because he can play his rhythms and notes fairly well and he has a good tone.

In District Band, the students will complete chair tests to earn a spot for their instrument. Meyer says he thinks he will get a top chair because he can play a two-octave e♭scale faster than many other people.  

Students competing for chairs in District Band were first nominated by Mrs. Faught and then they will be chosen through a professional draft process. Only 11 were nominated from OJH, and not one of every instrument either.

Nominated students were given a piece of music and practice during advisory and on their own time.

“They will play an audition for a chair and they will rehearse all day for a concert that evening,” Faught states about what students do after the nomination process is complete. 

Chosen members from Ozark Junior High rehearse for the audition for chairs in District Band. They haven’t been working on this for long, but being some of the best players at OJH, they are learning quickly. “Work hard and you will do well.” Meyer says.

Chosen members from Ozark Junior High rehearse for the audition for chairs in District Band. They haven’t been working on this for long, but being some of the best players at OJH, they are learning quickly. “Work hard and you will do well,” Meyer says.