Teachers’ kids spend time with NJHS volunteers

Student Kaitlyn Marshall cares for the youngest kid the group babysat. Marshall volunteered both nights and had cared for another very young child the previous night. “I mostly spent time with the older kids because the baby hated me,” says Coggin.

Morgan Taylor, Copy Editor

National Junior Honor Society volunteers babysat teachers’ kids on the nights of October 17 and 18 for parent-teacher conferences.

Six or seven NJHS students volunteered for the event which earned them four service hours a night out of the ten required by the end of the year for members. Students Emma Bassett, Morgan Taylor, Abigail Manning, Emily Cobb, Kaitlyn Marshall, and Sierra Barrett volunteered both nights. Garrett Coggin and Mackenna Rhodes volunteered for one night each. Approximately 10 kids showed up to earn service hours over the course of the two nights.

“It gave you practice with little kids for babysitting,” says Bassett. She currently has fifteen service hours, over half of which came from babysitting during the evenings of parent-teacher conferences.

“I think we’re going to do something at Christmas time for people in nursing homes,” says NJHS leader, Lindsay Ash, “after the induction we’ll pick one more service project for the spring.”

NJHS applicants will be notified of their acceptance into the service organization in early November. New members will be inducted towards the middle of November. Student leaders will be giving speeches at the ceremony.

“I don’t enjoy public speaking so it’s going to be hard speaking in front of all those people,” says Coggin, “but, as a leader, that’s part of my responsibility.”