Filed under Academics

Ozark Junior High Band starts All-Star Band program to motivate students

The Ozark Junior High School Band has been doing the All-Star Band program for five years. The program motivates students to go off on their own to learn new music. There is a list of short scores given to the students to practice outside of class. When a student feels good about their playing, they can go take a test on it. If they pass the test with a nine or ten, they get a sticker to keep track of what they have taken. Once the student passes all the tests, the earn the All-Star Band honor.

“Just practicing in general improves tone,” says band director, Mrs. Faught, “It improves note reading and rhythm skills.”

The students that pass all the tests will be honored at the spring band concert and will get a t-shirt.

“I plan to make All-Star Band,” says bassoon player, Aaron Tomczyk, “I want to make All-Star Band because I remember how it felt last year to make Superstar Band and I want that same experience.”

About 20 students made the equivalent of All-Star band last year and about 15 are on their way to making it this year.

OJH band members practice for their All-Star Band tests. After school and practice time has been available to students since December but many more people have come in since All-Star Band started. “I like this program,” says Tomczyk, “It will help us with note identification, staying on beat and different rhythms.”

“It challenges some of our kids and gives them some extra things to practice,” says Faught, “It’s a way to motivate kids to practice.” More students are now staying after school and going into band for advisory now that the program has started.

“It has definitely helped my playing skills,” says Tomczyk, “I have learned how to jump back and forth between notes that I wouldn’t normally.”