Filed under Academics

SCMMEA honor choir

On February 18, the Ozark Junior High School choir took 16 students to Southwest Baptist University to sing in the South Central Missouri Music Educators Association which is a district honor choir.

The OJH choir, directed by Alicia Campbell, takes 16 students to perform for the district choir including Tristan Primanzon, Toxey Pelate, Caleb Chrestman, Madison Carson, Josie Lasley, and Abbey Manning.

While all students are in the eighth grade, it is still the first for student Josie Lasley.”It’s a great opportunity to be invited to SCMMEA because only 16 students out of our school get to attend,” says Lasley.

Though this might be the first time Lasley is attending, but she has still heard a lot about SCMMEA and what goes on. ”SCMMEA is an organization that invites multiple schools to sing at SBU, we spend the day in Bolivar, we get to work with a clinician, we eat lunch, and then we have a concert,” Lasley adds.

This will be Abbey Manning’s second time attending SCMMEA. “I went in sixth and now eight grade,” Manning explains.

Manning, having now attended two years in a row, says they start the day off with rehearsal, take a few  short breaks to eat snacks and relax, and then they continue to rehearse until lunch. At the end of the day, adds Manning, the group has one final rehearsal before the evening performance.